May 11, 2013

Monkey Rag Background Fiddling

I've often complained of how awful I am at backgrounds, which is the reason I'm so hesitant to move forward with them.  Its been a couple weeks since I started stewing this one, and I got a comment that I might benefit from a monochromatic palette.  They even sent me an image they mocked up, which I found helpful.  I tried to incorporate the suggestion while still keeping the tropical flavor of this scene, and I'm happy to say I hate this background much less than I did before.  At least the colors aren't in battle with each other anymore, and that's something. Thank you for the help, sir!

3 comments:

Veeyah said...

awesome!!! You're not awful with backgrounds at ALL! >__< I've been struggling with the same thing for years, and believe me, you backgrounds are THE BOMB. :)

Keep it up!

mynameisveeyah.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I was once tutored that with backgrounds I would be tempted to use too many colors in the belief that I'll be bringing variety and richness to the scene. Instead, I should keep to a limited palette, say 2 or 3 colors at most, and that the richness and variety will come from their values and tones.

Also, that I should keep in mind (and I think this is a maxim of Maurice Noble's) that the number one function of the background is to support the animation, and that the details and tones of a background should be arrange so that the characters read and focuses our attention on them.

Again, FWIW - just some friendly unsolicited advice :)

-Cheers

Anonymous said...

Your "20s Glam Gal" illustration demonstrates the above nicely :)