September 04, 2008

"The Trouble With Angels"


A few weeks ago I caught a really cute film on TCM. "The Trouble With Angels" starred Rosalind Russel as Mother Superior in a Catholic girls' school and Haley Mills as a troublesome student. Its a really cute, fluffy movie that sometimes feels like a sixties precursor to "Saved". One of my favorite scenes is when troublemaker Mary is "volunteering" at an elderly ladies' home at Christmas, and witnesses the heartache of being alone and old, forsaken by your family. She tells the Mother Superior with ferocity: "I hope I die young..and very wealthy." Again, its a very cute film and the acting is superb.

Another cool part is that the titles were done by DePatie-Freleng, and have a very cool scruffy look. I did some sketches somewhat based on them.

No comments: