January 20, 2014

Favorite Cartoons #2: David The Gnome

The next cartoon I remember loving was also a Nick Jr show that had a magical tone: David the Gnome, starring Mr. Cunningham himself.  Tom Bosley might very well be the first voice I ever recognized.  While I loved this show's premise, I did tend to find the episodes a little boring.  The character that really kept me watching was Swift the Fox.  The (relatively) giant, stalwart animal friend that doubles as a mount is a trope I'm always a fan of, and I think Swift was the first exposure I had to that idea.  As I kid I thought he was just beautiful.  I don't think he even talked- did he?  Did the other animals talk?  I'm afraid to go back and watch the show because I have a feeling it was actually really horrible, and I'd prefer to keep my fond memories of it untainted by criticism. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The World of David the Gnome was based on the world famous children's books "The Gnomes" and "The Secret of the Gnomes" by Dutch authors Rien Poortvliet and Wil Huygen.
Read more at http://rien-poortvliet.emyspot.com/pages/animation/david-the-gnome-1988.html#RkxeBCuR4B50q9BP.99